Tuesday, January 5, 2016

........in which I reflect on a certain character in The Force Awakens (spoiler alert....I'm serious; do not read this yet if you haven't seen the film and care about what happens in it).

Like many Generation X boys, I learned most of what I need to know from Star Wars.  Well, that's overstatement of course, but you get the point.  It seems most of us grew up either wanting to be Luke Skywalker or Han Solo.  I fell into the Solo camp.  My ideal of masculine virtue was probably formed as much by Han Solo as anything.  Of course, it doesn't hurt that good-hearted scoundrel is also in my family DNA going back as far as I can trace, but that's rather beside the point of what I want to say today, which is a fond farewell to one of my great childhood mentors.


I was oddly not completely emotionally flattened by Han's apparent death* near the end of The Force Awakens.  It seemed somehow fitting in the context of where the story is going.  The writers have clearly announced with this film that this trilogy is about the next generation of Star Wars heroes.  Rey, Finn, BB-8, and Kylo Ren will clearly star in this adventure, with the holdovers from episodes IV-VI providing supporting roles.  And oddly, I'm OK with that, too.  Lawrence Kasdan has done a great job with developing characters that fill the shoes of Luke, Han, Leia, and Vader, in my humble opinion, and I'm happy for my sons to have their own heroes to root for over the next several years as opposed to borrowing mine.  My almost-seven-year-old already has a crush on Rey that will probably parallel mine on Leia.  I also really like what they've done with Kylo Ren as the son of Han and Leia.  It's an unexpected twist that nonetheless fits -- one of those feats of story that you don't see coming, but, once it's happened, makes you say, "Yep, that's about right."  In that context, Han's sacrifice on the bridge in Starkiller Base fits in the story.  Yes, I said sacrifice.  This wasn't an Obi-Wan Kenobi giving up his life so other's can get away, of course, but as Han walked out onto the bridge after Kylo Ren, I was muttering his own famous line in my head -- "I've got a bad feeling about this" -- and I think he knew what was coming too.  He sacrificed his life in an ultimate gesture of faith in the good left in his son and in -- forgive the sentimentality -- an ultimate gesture of love for his son, no matter how wrong he has gone.  I actually found it a profoundly redeeming moment for the character.  One of my own rules in story is that if you're going to kill an important character, you better damned well not waste his life in the process.  I don't think they did that with Han Solo in the slightest.  I think it represents a sacrificial maturity on the character's part, and I actually find myself liking it very much, though, like Luke and Leia, I will miss Han very much.

The only real complaint I have is that they shortchanged Han and Leia's reconciliation.  It should have been longer, more complete, and more romantic.  In short, they definitely should have shared a heartfelt, maybe even a passionate, kiss.  Of course, I was forced to rethink this a little after the somewhat awkward kiss between Mr. Carson and Mrs. Hughes in the season premier of Downton Abbey, but I still think Harrison Ford and Carrie Fischer could have pulled it off.

In any case, I find myself saddened but at ease with Han Solo's passing, as, I suppose, one would with any old (and let's face it, he was old) friend and mentor.  So, by way of farewell, I'd like to list a few of the things I learned from Han Solo, and in doing so, I assume I speak for a generation of boys who modeled themselves after the crass yet lovable smuggler pilot of the Millennium Falcon.
  • (Since we're on the subject of the Falcon) -- Character is the thing most important to be sought after in one's mode of transportation, with speed coming in a close second.  Sensibility is for losers.**    

  • Girls like scoundrels, provided that they have a heart of gold.  My wife will never admit to this, but I only ever made real traction with her when I started sardonically calling her "princess" (with the accent on the second syllable).  I suppose one shouldn't make too much of this, but one should not also underestimate the importance of being a little bit interesting.

  • A few good friends are worth a world of acquaintances.  Han held much of the galaxy at arm's length, but Luke, Leia, and, of course, Chewbacca were people he would have died for.

  • The arbitrary laws of men may be taken or left, but it is important at the end of the day to do the right thing.  (cf. Han's opportune appearance during the Death Star run at the end of Episode IV)


  • “Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.”  Overstatement, of course, but there's something to this cowboy pragmatism, and really, it is a good thing to know how to shoot.  Which is to say nothing about the virtue of self-reliance that is latent in this quote.

  • And finally, it is a noble and good thing to, at the end of the day, be willing to lay down your life for the love of another person, as Han did for the hope of his son's redemption in The Force Awakens.  I think that is why I was so satisfied with Han's death.  I mean, we all have to go, but it's very poetic and right to go in a way that embodies the virtue in one's character that redeems all of the loveable and interesting flaws.

So, assuming you are actually gone, happy trails old friend.  I and numerous others will miss you, but rest assured that you will take your place in the hall of heroes in Western culture.  You'll be there beside Achilles, Aeneas, Frodo Baggins, and when he gets there, your old pal Luke Skywalker.  You've taught us well, and we're appreciative.


*I say apparent death because one never knows for sure.  As I'll say later, the circumstances of Han's death on that bridge over a chasm were eerily similar to Gandalf's apparent demise on the bridge in Moria, and he came back inexplicably.  I don't expect that to happen here.  I do think we'll see Han again, but most likely in that blue-shaded Force apparition in which Ben Kenobi and Yoda appeared in Return of the Jedi.

**My vehicles in life (with the exception of the Volvo I currently drive, inherited from my wife):  a '65 Rambler, an '80 Pontiac Phoenix (this was a mistake), a '74 Chevy Caprice, an '85 Porsche 944, a '64 Rambler, and an '80 El Camino.  I get some of this from my dad, too, by the way, who is very Soloish in his relationship to vehicles.  When I was very young, he bought a 1977 Ford pickup that he is still driving on occasion, despite numerous (unintentional) attempts by his children and grandchildren to decommission the vehicle -- it might, in fact, be currently still in dire need of repair following my nephew's recent ill-advised attempt to cross the highway with it, but I have no doubt dad will fix it and drive it again.  I remember him saying one time that he wanted to be buried in it because "it's gotten me out of every other mess I've been in with it, maybe it'll get me out of that one too."

No comments:

Post a Comment